Department of Periodontics
Cleanliness is next to godliness’. Recognizing the truth of this maxim, the department was founded with a clear vision to bring out graduates and post graduates who excel in knowledge, skills and service as good human beings to serve the community. Our teaching, patient care and research programs are dynamic and evolving; with a ready willingness to embrace new technology. We value the expectations and aspirations of the people for high quality dental care and are committed to providing this. The department has a good patient inflow. On an average, about 80 patients visit the department for treatment daily.They are examined, prescribed necessary medications and scheduled for professional scaling and root planing of the teeth. In case of extrinsic stains on the teeth, polishing with pumice is also done.
This is followed by instructions for oral hygiene which comprises an important part of periodontal therapy. Common diseases of the gums such as gingivitis and periodontitis are routinely treated. Where required, surgical procedures such as gingivectomy of gum enlargements, relocation of a high frenal attachment, flap surgery, crown lengthening procedures, occlusal adjustments and various other periodontal esthetic procedures are carried out.
Regenerative procedures using bone grafts, guided tissue regeneration and others are routinely performed. Local drug delivery is done as an alternative measure for isolated areas. Emergency treatment is rendered for cases such as gingival and periodontal abscesses in which drainage is done. Partially erupted or impacted teeth wisdom teeth are evaluated for pericoronal flap treatment. Teeth with excessive mobility as a result of trauma are splinted. Dental hypersensitivity is addressed as well. The department has separate working clinics for undergraduate and post graduate students. A centralized sterilization room looks after the overall sterilization and disinfection of instruments, materials, working area and laundry.
Faculty members in department:-
- Jyoti R. Rao, Professor and Head
- James Samuel, Professor
- Gauri SarDessai, Asst. Professor
- Sandeep A.Lawande, Asst. Professor
- RitamSameer Naik, Lecturer
- ShalmaliViraj Dhond, Lecturer
- Gina Maria Silveira, Lecturer
- Ruth Lourenço, Lecturer
- Pooja Naik, Senior Resident
- Sandhya Faldessai, Staff Nurse
- Diksha Rane, Staff Nurse
- Varsha Kalangutkar, Dental Hygienist
- Pooja Karmalkar, Attendant
- Pramila Kunkolkar, Attendant
List of procedures done Department of Periodontology:
- Scaling and root planing
- Gingival curettage
- Gingivectomy and gingivoplasty
- Excision of soft tissue growths
- Subgingival drug delivery
- Periodontal flap surgery
- Smile designing
- Recession coverage procedures
No. of BDS students: 50 students
No. of MDS students: 2 each year (Total 6)
Passing percentage in the last 5 years: 100%
Placement of Postgraduate students (Last 5 Years):
Teaching Positions and Government service – 5
Practice – 5
No. of scientific publications: 1
The department has a Picasso Soft Tissue Laser (AMD Lasers-Dentsply) which can be used for selected cases to perform a wide range of specialised soft tissue surgical procedures.
Dr. Clarence P. Dias, a 3rd year post graduate student, won the first place at a National Periodontology conference for his poster on a rare condition called Enamel Renal Gingival Syndrome.
Dr. Paul Chalakkal (Awards)
- Excellence in Pedodontics – Indian Health Professional Awards. Received at Goa on 26th jan 2019.
- Specialist dentist (Pedodontist) of the year – Famdent excellence in dentistry awards. Received at Mumbai on 9th dec 2018.
- Best paper award: Comparison between methods used to treat non-vital young permanent teeth – 40th ISPPD Conference (Indian Society of Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry) at Nagpur from 24-26 oct, 2018
Dr. Dinesh F Swamy (Awards):
- Carlos Salinas Award 2019 for Excellence in Peer Review – Journal of Special Care in Dentistry.
- Excellence in Pedodontics – Indian Healthcare Professional Awards 2018
Dr. Neil de Souza (Awards):
- Best paper award at the 1st International Forensic Odontology Conference, Goa 2018.