Department of Oral Medicine & Radiology
Hippocrates once said, “Healing is a matter of time but also sometimes a matter of opportunity.” Being Oral Medicine and Radiology (OMR) specialists, we are blessed with the opportunity of providing a healing touch to many patients in countless approaches. The cornerstone of any healthcare expertise is the ability to diagnose. Accurate diagnosis and an appropriate treatment plan play a pivotal role in providing relief to an ailing patient. The advent of modern clinical research in oral medicine and advancements in the field of radiodiagnostics has heralded a new era in dentistry, thereby widening its horizons way beyond one can imagine. That is what empowers and equips us as an OMR specialist.
Oral Medicine and Radiology is the department which first greets and examines the patient, diagnoses and formulates a treatment plan for all the patients visiting Goa Dental College and Hospital. A good oral physician requires to be confident, knowledgeable, compassionate, humble and empathetic. These skills and traits help us in developing a good rapport with the patients, which puts the patient at ease and builds patient-doctor trust.
The Oral Medicine & Radiology department is subdivided into three sections:
- Oral Medicine is a dental speciality that bridges the traditional areas of health between dentistry and medicine. It is concerned with disorders of the oral and facial region, including orofacial manifestations of systemic diseases. The specialists of this field are empowered to provide care to patients with a wide variety of orofacial conditions, including oral mucosal diseases, orofacial pain syndromes, TM joint disorders, salivary gland disorders, and oral manifestations of systemic diseases. Oral cancer screening and relevant investigations are carried out. The Oral Medicine section is also involved in teaching and research involving orofacial diseases; systemic and behavioural disorders that impact oral health.
- The Oral Radiology section deals with the acquisition and interpretation of radiographic imaging studies performed for diagnosis or treatment guidance for conditions affecting the maxillofacial region. The department is equipped with three intra-oral Periapical dental x-ray machines and one Panoramic (OPG) x-ray machine for extra-oral radiography.
- The Forensic Dentistry section deals with Bite-mark Investigations in criminal cases, Identifying Unknown bodies, Facial reconstruction, Age estimation in medico legal cases as well as sports authority cases and other cases referred by Forensic Medicine Dept. A dedicated Forensic Dentistry Clinic was inaugurated on 12 March 2016 at the hands of Mr. Sudhir Mahajan, ex-Secretary Health, Goa.
Professor & Head: Dr. Manisha Khorate, MDS, PhD.
Senior Resident:Dr. Nivedita CKVS, MDS
Lecturer: Dr. Sapna Raut Dessai, MDS
Lecturer: Dr. Nigel Figueiredo, MDS
Lecturer: Dr. Aarathi Shenoy, MDS
Lecturer: Dr. Aniket Vaidya, MDS
Lecturer: Dr. Saurabh Bandodkar, MDS
Staff Nurse: Mrs. Trupti Madkaikar
X-ray Technician: Mr. Uday Nayak
Radiographic Technician: Mr. Mahesh Velip
Attendant Helper: Mr. Shekhar Gawas
Attendant Helper: Mrs. Baby Tari
Services Provided in the Department:
- OPD Examination and formulation of Treatment Plan for all patients
- Diagnosis and Management of:
- Pre-cancerous lesions and conditions
- Immune mediated lesions
- Oral Viral Infections
- Oral Fungal Infections
- Other oral mucosal lesions
- Temporo-mandibular joint disorders and other chronic orofacial pain [pharmacotherapy and physiotherapy (Infra-red therapy)]
- Salivary gland dysfunction [retrograde irrigation, Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) therapy]
- Oral Complications of post-radiotherapy and post-chemotherapy (Mucositis, Xerostomia, Osteoradionecrosis)
- Neurologic disorders (Bell’s Palsy, Trigeminal Neuralgia)
- Oral manifestations of systemic diseases (Renal disease, Anemia, Gastro-intestinal disorders)
- Diagnosis of Head & Neck Cancer, Cysts and Tumors of the jaws
- Investigative procedures:
- Sialometry, Sialography for salivary gland disorders
- Vital staining for oral precancerous lesions
- Pulp-vitality testing
- Radiographic diagnosis
- Intra-oral: Peripical (IOPA), Occlusal, Bitewing
- Extra-oral: Panoramic (OPG), Lateral & PA Cephalogram, Paranasal Sinus View (PNS), Sub-mento Vertex (SMV), PA Skull / Mandible, Lateral Oblique, TMJ radiography
- Forensic Dentistry
- Age Estimation – Juvenile & Adult
- Bite Mark analysis
- Person Identification
- Facial Reconstruction
- Issue of Medical Fitness, Disability certificates
Undergraduate Students: 40 per year
Post graduate Students: 2 per year
Placement of post graduate students:
- Goa Dental College and Hospital: 4
- Primary Health Centre: 1
- Community Health Centre (Gujarat): 1
- Overseas: 2
- Private Practitioners: 2
Publications (2018-2019): 5
- Dr. Aniket U. Vaidya secured the HIGHEST MARKS among all the post graduate streams in the MDS University Examination of June 2018 of Goa University.
- Dr. Aniket U. Vaidya won the AWARD FOR BEST DISSERTATION for his dissertation study on the treatment of Oral Lichen Planu at the 30th National Conference of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology at Pacific Dental College & Hospital, Debari, Udaipur, Rajasthan from 23rd – 25th November, 2018
- Dr. Olando Kevin D’Souza received the CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT For Securing 74.50% In Oral Medicine & Radiology In Final Year B.D.S. in the University Examination of February 2018 at the 30th National Conference of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology at Pacific Dental College & Hospital, Debari, Udaipur, Rajasthan from 23rd – 25th November, 2018.
- Dr. Pratiksha P. Nadkarni (IIIrd M.D.S) WON THE BEST PAPER PRESENTATION AWARD and Dr. K.S. GANAPATHY BEST CASE REPORT AWARD IN P.G. CATEGORY at the 30th National Conference of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology at Pacific Dental College & Hospital, Debari, Udaipur, Rajasthan from 23rd – 25th November, 2018.
- Dr. Paloma Fernandes (IInd M.D.S) WON THE BEST PAPER PRESENTATION AWARD at National Post Graduate Convention of the Indian Academy of Oral Medicine & Radiology 2018 organized by Indian Academy of Oral Medicine & Radiology at Drs. Sudha & Nageswara Rao Siddhartha Institute of Dental Sciences, Chinnaoutapalli, Gannavaram, Krishna District, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh on Fri 24th & Sat 25th August, 2018.
- Dr. Prachi M. Desai (IInd M.D.S) WON THE SECOND-BEST PAPER PRESENTATION AWARD at National Post Graduate Convention of the Indian Academy of Oral Medicine & Radiology 2018 organized by Indian Academy of Oral Medicine & Radiology at Drs. Sudha & Nageswara Rao Siddhartha Institute of Dental Sciences, Chinnaoutapalli, Gannavaram, Krishna District, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh on Fri 24th & Sat 25th August, 2018.
- 1st International and 16th National IAFO Conference with the theme “FORENSIC ODONTOLOGY- MARCHING INTO THE DIGITAL ERA” was organized by Dept of Oral Medicine & Radiology, GDC at SAG’S Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Indoor Stadium on 29th & 30th September, 2018. There were 429 registrations for the conference.
- At the Annual General Body Meeting held at XXX National Conference of the Indian Academy of Oral Medicine & Radiology, Pacific Dental College & Hospital, Udaipur on 25th November 2018, Dr. Manisha M. Khorate was elected as the Joint Secretary of IAOMR.